Season of Teshuvah - 5778
- Starts 1 of Elul
- Last Month in Jewish Year - Elul
- Teshuvah - Repent, Deeply Consecrate your life, Death, Rebirth - 2 Co 5:17
- Preparation for Yamim Mora’im - “Days of Awe”
- 40 days end on Yom Kippur
- Jewish tradition 40 days are Yemei Ratzon - “Days of Favor” - Time Lord forgives Jewish nation for Golden Calf - Likened to days in womb - Ro 8:28-30; He 1:8
- Repent or “turn [shuv] toward God”
- Getting spiritual house in order
- Blow Shofar every day until the day before Rosh Hashanah
Looking Back To The Season of Teshuvah - 5778
- Concerns over what will happen
- To whom shall I listen?
- What did or did not happen and how did you react?
Year 2448 - 3,331 years ago
- 15 Nissan, First Passover, Israel Leaves Egypt
- 7 days - Red Sea, Last day of Passover
- 50 days - 6 Sivan - Shavuot, Israel restored
- 6 Sivan - Moses Ascends Mt. Sinai to receive Torah
- 40 days - Moses on mountain, 10 Commandments
- 17 Tammuz - Golden Calf destroyed with tablets
- 18 Tammuz - Burned Golden Calf and judged the transgressors
- 19 Tammuz - Moses goes up, pleads for mercy
- 40 days - Last day of Av, Moses comes back
- 1 Elul - Mose goes up to receive second tablets
- 40 days - Moses on mountain
- 10 Tishrei - Yom Kippur - Moses with new tablets, Day of Forgiveness [Ex 33:11]
- Ex 19-34 - Moses journey up Mt. Sinai
Moses and the Sapphire Tablets
- Were the second set of tablets carved on sapphire?
- Tablets were of supernatural origin - Blue Sapphire
- Ex 24:10-12
- Ex 34:1 - Second set same as first set
- Both the first set [broken] and the second set were placed in ark
- Blue cord on tallit as reminder
Preparation For Season of Teshuvah - 5779
- Prepare my hearts and minds
- Set a time and place to get close to God - Is 55:6
High Holy Days
- 9 Sep [29 Elul] - Erv Rosh Hashanah - 5779 - Happy New Year - Sundown
- 10 Sep [1 Tishrei] - Rosh Hashanah - 5779
- 9-18 Sep - Days of Awe
- 18 sep [9 Tishrei] - Erv Yom Kippur
- 19 Sep [10 Tishrei] - Yom Kippur
- 23 Sep [14 Tishrei] - Ever Sukkot
- 24 Sep [15 Tishrei] - Sukkot
Questions For A Meaningful Life
- When do I feel that my life is most meaningful?
- Those who mean the most to me -- have I ever told
them how I feel?
- Are there any ideals I would be willing to die for?
- If I could live my life over, would I change anything?
- What would bring me more happiness than anything
else in the world?
- What are my three most significant achievements since
last Rosh Hashanah?
- What are the three biggest mistakes I've made since
last Rosh Hashanah?
- What project or goal, if left undone, will I most regret
next Rosh Hashanah?
- If I knew I couldn't fail, what would I undertake to
accomplish in life?
- What are my three major goals in life? What am I doing
to achieve them? What practical steps can I take in the
next two months towards these goals?
- If I could only give my children three pieces of advice,
what would they be?