Torah Observance - Sabbath/Shabbat
- What is Sabbath?
- Is Shabbat and Sabbath the same?
- Is Sabbath on Saturday or Sunday?
- Why celebrate Sabbath?
- How do we celebrate Sabbath?
- What is the “correct” observance of Sabbath?
- Ge 2:3 - God gives Sabbath
- Mk 2:27 - Sabbath created for Man
- Ex 16:22-26 - Observed in Sinai
- Ex 20:8 - One of the ten commandments
- He 4:1-13 - Sabbath Rest for the People
Torah Observance - Dietary “Kosher”
- Lev 11 - Clean and Unclean food
- “Kadosh” Holy - Separation of things set aside for God and things set aside for other purposes
- “Kashrut” - Dietry Law
- “Kasher” - Fit - Which foods are considered fit to eat
- “If I eat Kosher, then I am under the law”
- Preparing foods
- Certified by Rabbi saying it is clean
- What is the real story behind Peter’s Vision?
- Ac 10 10:9-29; 11:4-18
What Is Clean and Un-Clean Food?
- Foods and their accompanying rituals do not make a person clean or un-clean
- Our thoughts and intents make us clean or un-clean
Animal / Products
- Pigs, shellfish, rabbits, birds of prey, and reptiles cannot be eaten
- Mammals that have split hooves and chew their cud, (including cows, sheep, goats, bison, and deer) are kosher
- Fish must have fins and removable scales to be considered kosher
- Milk and eggs from kosher animals are kosher. Eggs must not have blood
- Food prepared in accordance with Jewish law - “shechita”
Meat and Dairy
- Meat cannot be eaten with dairy - Ex 23:19, 34:26; De 14:21
- Meat represents - “Gevurah” - The Divine attribute of Judgment
- Diary represents - “Chesed” - The Divine attribute of Kindness
- “None of these reasons are fully satisfactory and it is clear that this mitzvah falls into the category of Mitzvahs that have no satisfactory reason - Chukim. The reasons of many of the commandments in the Torah are beyond our comprehension. This allows for our acceptance of a Higher reason and the realization that our comprehension is limited.”
- Pareve means natural containing neither meat or diary
- All eggs, fruits, vegetables, grains, pasta, nuts, beans, and legumes, fish is pareve
- Grape products (including juice and wine) must be produced by Jews
- Ma 15:1-20 - Traditions of Man