The Main Purpose of This Study
- 1. If Jesus came to fulfill/abolish the law why do I need to follow Torah? Am I not under Grace now?
- 2. What do I do to be “Torah Observant”?
Torah - “Instruction”
- What does word Torah mean?
- Original purpose of Torah?
- What is the Torah/Law?
The Torah [Law] or Grace?
- Are we to live under the Torah [Law] or grace?
- Ro 3:28-31
- If I chose to not eat certain foods, am I “Just living under the law and not under grace?’
Was Torah Abolished?
- Ma 5:17-18 - “Destroy” - Gk - “Kataluo”
- Loose down
- To render vain, deprive of success
- To deprive of force, invalidate
- Jesus came to fulfill not destroy
- Jot or Tittle - Smallest markings in Hebrew Script
- Ep 2:14-15 - “Abolished” - Gk - “Katargeo”
- Reduce to a state of inactivity
- Ro 6 - “If justification comes by faith alone, then is not the law rejected?
- Ro 6:1-2 - “So then are we to say, “Let’s keep on sinning, so that there can be more grace”? Heaven forbid! - “Chalilah” - A curse by upon it!
- Ro 6:14 - “For sin will not have authority over you; because you are not under legalism but under grace.” - Namos is Gk for “legalism’. Torah is not a system of rules for earning God’s praise
- Ro 6:15 - “Therefore, what conclusion should we reach? “Let’s go on sinning, because we’re not under legalism but under grace”? Heaven forbid!”
- Ro 7:7 - “Therefore, what are we to say? That the Torah is sinful?
Question: If this is true is it ok to kill?
Torah Properly Interpreted [Fulfill]
- Ro 10:4
- Most English translations render the greek word “telos” as “end’ or “terminate” instead of “goal”
- Implies law/torah has been abolished
- “Fulfill” was a Rabbinic Idiom often used to mean “to properly interpret”
- Jesus came to properly interpret [fulfill] the goal of the Torah, not to end it
Torah Observance - Jesus and Sabbath
- Not a question of did Jesus follow Torah, but rather in what manner did he keep it?
- How is Torah interpreted and implemented?
- Jewish custom to argue about Torah and then to go to Synagogue together
What is the “real” question in this study?
- 1.If Jesus came to fulfill/abolish the law why do I need to follow Torah? Am I not under Grace now?
- Torah is not “the law” it is for instruction in how to live in God’s world
- Jesus did not abolish Torah - He fulfilled
- Jn 14:15 - “If you love Me, keep My commandments”
- 2.What do I do to be “Torah Observant”?
- Read His Word and discover it’s true meaning
- Discuss with others - No arguing :)
- Pray and follow the Spirits leading as we walk in progressive revelation
Torah Portion - Chayei Sarah
- Genesis 23:1-25:18
- 1 Kings 1:1-31
- Jan 4:3-14